Your gaming monitor is an important component for your entire setup, and it makes sense to do your homework before you pick one. Depending on your budget, you can expect to buy a decent gaming monitor within $500, although some monitors can cost as high as $1,000. Given that there are numerous choices, here are 5 factors that must be considered for selecting a good gaming monitor.
- Refresh Rate. This refers to the number of times the monitor refreshes on-screen image per second, which is measured in Hertz. At the least, you should be looking at 60 Hz, but 120 Hz is better. Response time is also something that you should check.
- Display resolution. For most gamers, a 4k gaming monitor is almost a must. Full-HD screens are not longer enough when you want the display to be as crisp and appealing as expected for gaming.
- Panel type. If you are on a really strict budget but don’t want to compromise on the refresh rate, go for Twisted Nematic (TN) panels. For color reproduction, Vertical Alignment (VA) panels are great. The final choice is that of In-Plane Switching (IPS) panels, which are great and offer a mix of good viewing angles and refresh rate.
- Screen size. Don’t go for a gaming monitor more than 30-inch in size. This is one of the key aspects that people often fail to understand. Ideally, a 27-inch monitor or anything close is worth your money, because you can keep an eye on everything that’s happening online.
- Pricing. This is again a matter of budget, but don’t expect a gaming monitor of $200 to work as good as something that’s priced higher. The brand is important for sure, but don’t let that singular factor inflate the price. If you are buying your first monitor, go for a budget option, check what you like and don’t like, and you can think of replacement in the next couple of years.
Should you buy a curved panel?
Again, this is a matter of personal choice. Curved panels are amazing for sure, but you have to consider what works best for your budget. If you don’t want to spend huge on a monitor right when you are beginning your journey as a gamer, you can skip this option.
Check online stores right now and find a gaming monitor that has the right mix of features.