What’s new at Third Space
What we’re up to in Silver Spring and nearby areas:
- Join us for summer yoga at Creative Colony! Details here.
- On July 9th, Joy spoke to the fantastic interns at The Washington Center about wellness and acupuncture.
- On June 14th, Rachel and Sam provided acupuncture and yoga at Sunfest at Summit Hills.
- On June 24th, Rachel and Joy hosted a workshop on summer wellness at the Blairs.
- Third Space Wellness is helping the Blairs in Silver Spring launch a running club for their residents.
- On May 24th, Joy provided acupuncture at a Raw Food Retreat in Maryland.
- On May 4th, Joy, Rachel and Sam hosted a private wellness party in downtown Silver Spring.
- Not sure why we call ourselves Third Space Wellness? Read about it here.
- Can’t get enough of us? Sign up for our newsletter! Find out about events and special offers, get wellness tips and stay up-to-date with our progress.
Is Yoga a religion?
Simply put, the answer is NO.
Individuals practicing yoga often come up against the question of whether yoga is a religion. It is an issue that has gained prominence as more and more yoga is taught in places like schools and churches. Yoga does descend from a religious tradition but it does not require adherence to a belief system, creed, obligations or rituals. Yogis practicing today come from all sorts of different religious backgrounds. Some have a solid definition of God while others are adamantly atheists. Either way yoga is a deeply personal practice and yoga does not ask that a student believe in certain things in order to participate.
Summer is chock full o' lessons; part deux
Summer is all about expansion and partnership so this is the perfect time of year to spread your wings, literally! And to spend time with the people you love. It’s all about being in the present moment. Here are some ideas for having an amazing summer:
Fresh Air and Sunshine - Get outside and stretch your arms as far as you can just like the branches of the trees. If you are with a buddy, reach out for each others hands. Stretching + hand grabbing = giggles which is the perfect summer medicine. And stretching helps move your circulation; summer is the season of the heart, so let’s move the blood and the love!
Summer is chock full o' lessons
Last week Joy helped us remember to take it down a notch, let our hair down and lush up the summer time. It’s an incredible time of year for celebrating, being with people and having a ball. It’s also an important time for us to be with ourselves.
I just started readingThe Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown. I’m going to let you know what I learn along the way.
Be Lush: a lesson in wellness from summer
We at Third Space Wellness teach a workshop called “Living Well with the Seasons”. Essentially, we uncover ways we can learn about what’s going on inside our bodies by paying attention to what’s going on outside our bodies. We are constantly affecting nature and nature is affecting us. You probably have more insight than your realize about how your body responds to what’s going on with the weather, flora & fauna, and seasonal food.
10 ways to thrive in the workplace
Have you ever seen a Dilbert comic strip, read it, start laughing and then crying hysterically because you realize that your office is probably the inspiration for it?
Trust me, I have been there and many, many people have to endure the kind of workplace environment that would make even Dilbert look preferable.