Many folks have been experiencing a fall cold lately, with symptoms ranging from sinus congestion to sore throats. Here are some tips to help you prevent it or help your body bounce back from it!
- Listen to your gut. The first sign of a cold can show up as digestive upset, since 70% of our immune system lives in our digestive tract. Churning, nausea, abdominal pain, bloating that doesn’t go away… these can be signs to go easy on the spices, dairy, & sugar, and try going bland, like eating more soups for a day.
- Cancel as much as you can and rest. Another sign before a cold starts is feeling exhausted and run down. Take this as your early warning signal and go to bed 1 to 2 hours early! Call off work, cancel that social outing, set the family up with a movie marathon, and crawl in bed.
- Boost your immune system by trying one or a few of these tips:
- Throat soothing tea (or teas with licorice in them) helps calm sore throats.
- Raw Honey – take a spoonful a couple times per day to coat throat and load up on honey’s natural immune-boosting properties.
- Take an extra vitamin – Vitamin C, D, or a multivitamin can help give you a boost if you’re low on energy.
- Eucalyptus oil or Peppermint oil help open up nasal passageways – add a dab to some lotion and rub under your nose.
- Neti pot – clean out sinuses as soon as you feel congested, and continue once or twice daily to keep them from getting backed up.
- Book an acupuncture treatment! Acupuncture helps the body gently detox and boost immunity.
And finally, stick with the basics and wash your hands!