When people ask me what acupuncture is good for, the short answer is “anything you need help with”. Acupuncture is a system of medicine based on restoring balance. The goal is to restore normal functioning by balancing out what is excessive or lacking. You can book an appointment whether you have no symptoms at all or every symptom in the book, and we’ll investigate what you could use more of, or what is a little over the top that we can dial down.
Here are some examples of reasons you can see your acupuncturist when other types of medical professionals might give you a look of “?!?!”.
- “My back is sore from shoveling snow” – Back so tight you can’t relax? Pain got you locked in place? Sometimes acupuncture is like getting a massage without a massage. Let’s loosen up the tension so you can get some oxygen-rich fluidity back through your spine and muscles.
“Road rage”, a.k.a., “the bitchy blues” – In Chinese Medicine there’s a treatment for the type of mood swing that seems out of your control. One minute you nearly slice someone’s head off and the next you’re weeping in a corner. Things come out of your mouth that are shocking, even to you. All this is going on outside, while internally, the logical side of your brain is saying, “Sorry! Not sorry! I’ve gone insane!”
“My head thinks it’s a Death Metal band” – Headaches interrupting your day? Migraines shutting you down for hours at a time? There are many types of head sensations (sharp, dull, achy, throbbing, blinding, etc.), and many reasons they may be triggered. Let’s find out which one(s) are unique to you.
“My stress & anxiety are through the roof” – If your to-do list is managing you instead of you managing it, life is full. Ever feel like you want to put your brain in a straight jacket when it swirls with thoughts all night and you can’t get a decent night’s sleep? More common than your realize. Let’s learn how to dial down the intensity.
“Ohdeargod hangover” – A few quick acupuncture points and your body will kick into professional detox mode (in a good way).
- “The plumbing works, but…” – Not many people feel comfortable talking about what they perceive as an “issue” with their sex drive or the parts that drive it. This includes questions about desire, lack of desire, ability to conceive, or carry a baby to full term. This can weigh on you like a damp towel of mystery, embarrassment, and fear. Fear not!
- “Surgery scares the pants off me” – Many people try acupuncture before scheduling some surgeries that aim to repair damage and restore function, like knee or shoulder surgery. Let’s drive some nourishment to the area and give your body a running start to healing prior to surgery or in lieu of it.
- “I died a little on the inside” – Death and grief are no light matter. Going on with life after the loss of a loved one is indescribable in its strangeness and difficulty. Even if we haven’t lost someone close to us, every day we experience some loss and heartache, whether we send our kids to school or miss another day doing a job we hate. Heartache is part of life, and you don’t have to bear it alone.
- “My stomach’s always messed up” – This could mean anything from heartburn and indigestion to constipation, diarrhea, or room-clearing gas. It happens.
If any of these sound familiar, call up your local acupuncturist. We’re here to help you live your life to the fullest; we want you to know you don’t have to do this alone.