You know that perpetually upbeat person who greets you with an obnoxious “Make it a nice day!”? And then you add not kicking that person to your list of personal successes?
Well, he (or she) may have a point.
Bad or unpleasant things happen that can ruin our day. We can’t entirely control our environment but there are ways we can make it easier on ourselves – just little things that we can do, along with a prepared mindset, to create ease in our every day.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get ready in the morning. Enough time so that you’re not starting off your day frazzled and rushed.
- Wear clothes that make you feel good. Not too tight. Not too loose. Clothes that are just right.
- If you have a crappy commute to work, expect that it will be crappy and stop fighting it. Put on some music instead or bring a book with you. (If you want podcast recommendations, we have plenty!)
- Make a to-do list. Then attack it. Maybe celebrating every time you check an item off of the list.
- Get up from your chair and chat up a co-worker about something non-work-related.
- At your desk, play your favorite song. You know, the one you can’t help but chair dance to.
- Drink lots of water. (Coffee and soda don’t count.)
- Have lunch away from your desk. (Even if it means sneaking into an empty conference room).
- Get some sunlight. (Pull your chair right up to that window).
- Treat yourself (that is, do at least one thing that you enjoy).
- Read or watch something funny. (Type “funny cat videos” on YouTube. Trust me.)
- Do yoga. (OR meditate, get a massage, get acupuncture, or nap)
These are just some suggestions. Maybe an impromptu dance party will dispel cranky thoughts or an ice-cold glass of something. It doesn’t matter.
What is important is that you not get mired in the muck of your day. The goal is to break away from the train of thought and create space to breathe.
Perfect days (especially in the office) are rare and since most of us aren’t independently wealthy and can’t spend our days hiding under our covers, why not try a few of the items above?
Now it’s your turn… How do you make it a good day?